Additional memorandum submitted by Education Otherwise (CS 38)
From trustee, Education Otherwise.
Additional points on section 13A of the Education Act 1996
· Section 13A of the Education Act 1996 refers specifically to the functions of a local authority relating to the provision of education.
· "A local education authority shall ensure that their functions relating to the provision of education to which this section applies"
· Home education is not education provided by the local authority.
· Education otherwise than at school may be provided by the local authority under section 19 of the Education Act 1996 for children who are unable for various reasons to attend school. This may be known as Alternative Provision or AP.
· Section 13A does not apply to elective home education.
· DCSF Home Education Guidelines 2007 make a clear distinction between elective home education and education otherwise under section 19
· DCSF Statutory Guidance on Children Missing Education 2009 makes a clear distinction between elective home education and education otherwise under section 19