Pakistan - International Development Committee Contents

3  DFID's work in Pakistan

42. In 2000-01 UK Official Development Assistance was £15 million; it increased to over £66 million in 2003-04, decreased to £31 million in 2004-05 and increased again to over £97 million in 2005-06.[59] DFID explained the volatility in its assistance to Pakistan over the last decade was due to a number of reasons. UK Official Development Assistance declined following the nuclear tests in 1998 and concerns arising from the 1999 coup d'etat. By 2003, the situation in Afghanistan was creating a huge burden in Pakistan due to refugee flows and other pressures. Pakistan's Government had demonstrated itself to be more reform-minded, and a decision had been taken to scale up assistance, largely through short-term, carefully targeted projects. In 2005 DFID devolved responsibility for programming and policy for Pakistan from London to the DFID office in Islamabad. DFID expenditure in Pakistan fell in 2004-05 during this transition while a new Country Assistance Programme was prepared. Soon after this the 2005 Kashmir earthquake triggered another significant increase in UK ODA, mostly linked to emergency and humanitarian support.[60]

Table 3
Year 2000/01







Total DFID Bilateral Programme £m








2007 Statistics in International Development

43. While final decisions have yet to be made, it is intended that DFID's funding will be split approximately as follows: national programmes (30%); programmes in DFID's two focal provinces of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (55%); and other Provinces (15%). DFID focuses on Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces as together they account for over 70% of Pakistan's population and the largest absolute numbers of poor people.[61]

44. DFID has an operational plan for Pakistan running from 2011 to 2015 which is refreshed annually.[62] It states DFID's aim is for a stable and prosperous Pakistan at peace with its neighbours. It hopes to do this by: building peace and stability; making democracy work so that Pakistan can escape the cycle of poor governance and military intervention; promoting macroeconomic stability, growth and jobs as Pakistan has a rapidly growing young population in need of work; and helping to deliver effective public services so the Government of Pakistan can respond to its people's needs.[63]

45. Education will be DFID's largest programme in future. Its other key areas are governance and security and maternal health, with other smaller programmes on humanitarian assistance, wealth creation and poverty hunger and vulnerability.

Figure 1

Sectoral composition of planned expenditure in Pakistan 2012-13 to 2014-15, ICAI Report, Evaluation of DFID's Bilateral Aid to Pakistan

This Report concentrates on the three larger programmes which are covered in the next few chapters. Each of the programmes have a set of indicators and expected results set out in the Operational Plan which we consider in this report as well as some of the separate projects within the programme headings.

59   Q33 Back

60   DFID Evaluation Report Ev687, Evaluation of DFID Country Programmes, Country Study: Pakistan, April 2008 Back

61   Ev 55 Back

62   DFID Pakistan, Operational Plan 2011-15 Back

63   DFID Pakistan, Operational Plan 2011-15, Vision p 3 Back

previous page contents next page

© Parliamentary copyright 2013
Prepared 4 April 2013