That this House:—
(1) reaffirms its resolution of 1 February 2018 on baby leave for Members of Parliament;
(2) endorses the Fifth Report from the Procedure Committee, HC 825, on Proxy voting and parental absence;
(3) accordingly directs the Speaker to prepare a scheme governing the operation of proxy voting for Members absent from the House by reason of childbirth or care of an infant or newly-adopted child, pursuant to the recommendations in the Committee’s report;
(4) directs that a scheme prepared in accordance with this resolution and the Standing Order (Voting by proxy for parental absence) shall be signed by the Speaker and the leaders of the three largest parties in the House before it is published, and that it shall enter into effect when the Speaker takes the chair on the sitting day after the day of publication, and
(5) directs that any amendment of a scheme in effect by virtue of paragraph (4) above shall take effect when the Speaker takes the Chair on the sitting day after a proposal signed by the Speaker and the leaders of the three largest parties in the House is published.
Published: 15 May 2018