Appointment of the Chair of Homes England Contents
Appendix 4: Candidate information pack
About the role
We are a growing organisation with big ambitions and the Homes England Chair will be vital in leading the Agency and the Board through a substantial period of change. The organisation and the Government will look to the Chair to shape the strategy of the Board at pace to drive the delivery of the homes the country needs.
Key responsibilities of the Chair:
- The Chair will be responsible for the proper running of the Homes England Board. They will guide and influence the Agency at a strategic level providing confident, clear and consistent leadership. They will also lead the Agency’s relationship with the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, who they will meet on a regular basis.
- The Chair will act as an ambassador for the Board and for Homes England, helping to build and develop collaborative strategic partnerships that support and promote Homes England’s core mission. The successful candidate will influence and network with key decision makers and stakeholders and explain how the organisation is transforming.
- The Chair of the Homes England Board is expected to operate within the relevant standards and duties, including the Corporate governance code for central government departments, Managing Public Money and other relevant Cabinet Office guidance. These represent relevant benchmarks for good practice in corporate governance.
- As the Chair of Homes England, there would be further organisation specific governance documents that would be expected to operate within, including the 2018 Framework Document with MHCLG. The Chair is responsible to the Secretary of State and for ensuring to support their wider strategic policies.
Key objectives include:
- Building capacity and capability at the Board and executive level to ensure Homes England has the required experience and expertise to fulfil its mission and objectives
- Embedding effective working relationships with the department and wider government through governance processes including the Homes England Framework Document
- Ensuring the Board actively supports the running of Homes England and its ongoing transformation programme and that this is in step with changes underway at MHCLG
- Leading the Board to scrutinise and challenge the finance and performance of Homes England
- Strengthening the Board’s oversight of the organisation and holding the executive to account for organisational performance. Accounting to Ministers on Homes England’s performance.
- Comprehensive experience at Board level as a Chair or Non-Executive of a large organisation supporting, challenging and holding to account a strong executive team and conveying confidence in the organisation’s capability to deliver on its objectives
- Extensive experience of stakeholder engagement in public facing positions, with proven influencing and networking abilities with diverse and high-profile key decision makers
- Ability to show evidence of excellent judgement and ability to assimilate a range of perspectives and evidence
- Proven track record of leadership within organisations of at least comparable scale and complexity
- Strong commercial experience, along with notable financial and risk management acumen
- A passion and enthusiasm for working with Government in meeting the challenges of the housing market
- Evidence of leading organisational transformation
- Understanding of large-scale digital change programmes
- Experience in the housing (including social housing), infrastructure and/ or development sectors