Back to the future? Procedure after coronavirus restrictions Contents
Annex: Terms of reference
The Committee agreed the following terms of reference for its inquiry on 30 April 2020:
- The Procedure Committee is monitoring and evaluating the use of the temporary procedures and practices agreed to by the House of Commons on 21 and 22 April.
- These temporary changes have been introduced in consequence of the public health restrictions on movement and association introduced to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Committee will consider submissions relating to any aspect of House procedure and practice affected by coronavirus restrictions.
- The Committee will also consider proposals for further changes to procedure and practice which may be necessary to allow the House’s business to continue under such restrictions.
- Although the procedural changes made are strictly temporary, the Committee may wish to evaluate whether any features of the changes merit adoption by the House.
This first call for evidence was supplemented by a specific call between 1 and 8 October:
- The effect which current rules on time limits on speeches have on participation in debate.
- The process whereby MPs currently apply to participate, and are able to participate, in debate, including seating arrangements in the Chamber.
- Whether the temporary system of call lists adequately facilitates debate management in the current situation.