S.I. 2003/1558: memorandum from
the Department for Education and Skills
New Schools (General) (England) Regulations 2003
4. The Committee considered the above instrument
and requested a memorandum on the following points:
(1) In regulation 10, paragraph (3) is expressed
to be "subject to paragraph (5)", yet the latter appears
to qualify paragraph (4) only. Should the reference be to paragraph
(4)? If not, explain the purpose of the quoted words.
(2) Should the reference in regulation 10(7)
to paragraphs (4) and (5) be to paragraphs (3) and (4)? If not,
explain the relevance of the reference to paragraph (5).
5. The Committee has identified correctly that the
reference in regulation 10(3) to paragraph (5) should be a reference
to paragraph (4) and that the reference in regulation 10(7) to
paragraphs (4) and (5) should be to paragraphs (3) and (4).
6. These errors are regretted and arrangements are
being made for a correction slip to be issued.
(3) Regulation 37(3) is expressed in similar
terms to regulation 6(3) of S.I. 2003/1377, in respect of which
the Department provided a memorandum on 27 June. The Committee
has the same question in respect of this provision. Does the Department
wish to add anything to its earlier response?
7. The Department has nothing to add to its response
of 27 June on this point.
(4) In paragraph 2(1) of Schedule 1, what has
been omitted between "shall:" at the bottom of page
22 and "(i)" at the top of page 23?
8. The words "(a) designate either:"
have been omitted. These words were included in the registered
copy of S.I. 2003/1558 but a printing error occurred which has
led to their omission in the printed copy. HM Stationery Office
has admitted that an error was made and has offered to issue a
correction slip. This offer has been accepted by the Department.
10 July 2003