D. Section 1(12)(a)the "minister"
76. The "minister" has a key role in
much of the second half of section 1. Section 1(12)(a) lays down
in detail who is to be the "minister" under the Measure:
- normally it will be the incumbent
or, if the benefice is vacant, the priest-in-charge if any;
- however, if some other priest has been given
a special cure of souls for the area including the church where
the marriage is to be solemnised, he or she is to be the minister;
- in the case of a team ministry where there is
no-one with a special cure of souls within the previous category,
and no incumbent or priest in charge, the minister will be the
team vicar appointed by the bishop as "acting team rector"
or, if there is none, the team vicar who has held that office
longest in the team ministry; and
- if there is no one in any of the previous categories
to take on the functions of the minister, the rural (or area)
dean must do so.
MATTERS RAISED BEFORE THE REVISION COMMITTEE AND
THE GENERAL SYNOD
77. The only issues of substance which were raised
on this set of provisions related to the position in team ministries.
The detailed proposals which were put forward regarding team ministries
did not prove contentious and were accepted by the Revision Committee,
and they are incorporated in the explanation given in the previous