HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Martis 13° Octobris 1998
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Norwich.
1. Lord AhmedNazir Ahmed Esquire, having been created Baron Ahmed, of Rotherham in the County of South Yorkshire, for life by Letters Patent dated in the afternoon of 3rd August 1998, was introduced between the Baroness Ramsay of Cartvale and the Lord Davies of Coity, the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod and Garter King of Arms preceding; and took and subscribed the oath pursuant to statute.
2. Lord HanningfieldPaul Edward Winston White Esquire, having been created Baron Hanningfield, of Chelmsford in the County of Essex, for life by Letters Patent dated in the forenoon of 31st July 1998, was introduced between the Baroness Platt of Writtle and the Lord Dixon-Smith, the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod and Garter King of Arms preceding; and took and subscribed the oath pursuant to statute.
3. UCB Home Loans Corporation Limited (Respondents) v. Moore and another (A.P.) (Petitioner) (lodged 29th September) The petition of Judit Moore praying for leave to appeal was presented and referred to an Appeal Committee. The petitioners legal aid certificate was lodged.
4. W 1-6 (Respondents) v. Essex County Council and another (Appellants) It was ordered that the appellants be allowed to prosecute the appeal without giving the usual security for costs as required by Standing Order.
5. British Broadcasting Corporation (Respondents) v. Kelly-Phillips (Appellant) It was ordered that the appellant be allowed to prosecute the appeal without giving the usual security for costs as required by Standing Order.
6. Command PaperThe following paper was presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
Standards in Public Life5th Report of the Committee on Standards in Public Life: The Funding of Political Parties in the United Kingdom:
7. Negative InstrumentThe following instrument was laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
Local Government Act 1988 (Defined Activities) (Exemptions) (No. 3) Order 1998, laid under the Local Government Act 1988. (2477)
Select Committee Report
8. Procedure of the HouseThe 4th Report from the Select Committee was made; it was ordered that the Report be printed. (HL Paper 144)
9. European Central Bank (ECC Report) It was moved by the Lord Barnett that this House take note of the Report of the European Communities Committee on the European Central Bank (24th Report, HL Paper 112); after debate, the motion was agreed to.
10. Sustainable Landfill (ECC Report) It was moved by the Baroness Hilton of Eggardon that this House take note of the Report of the European Communities Committee on Sustainable Landfill (17th Report, HL Paper 83); after debate, the motion was agreed to.
11. Work and the familyThe Lord Ponsonby of Shulbrede asked Her Majestys Government what steps they are taking to promote family-friendly working practices to enable people to balance the responsibilities of family life with the demands of paid work; after debate, the question was answered by the Lord Hunt of Kings Heath.
The House was adjourned at twenty-four minutes past eleven oclock
till tomorrow, half-past two oclock.