HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Lunae 15° Februarii 1999
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Blackburn.
1. Union Bank of Finland (Respondents) v. Lelakis (Petitioner) Upon application by the petitioner (the agents for the respondents consenting thereto), it was ordered that the petition be withdrawn.
2. Command PapersThe following papers, having been presented to the House by command of Her Majesty on 12th February, were ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Headquarters AgreementsExchange of Notes amending the Headquarters Agreements between the United Kingdom and
(i) the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation; (4224)
(iii) CAB International (previously known as the Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux); (4222)
(iv) the Commonwealth Foundation; (4223)
(v) the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts; (4225)
(vi) the International Cocoa Organization; (4226)
(vii) the International Coffee Organization; (4227)
(viii) the International Grains Council (previously known as the International Wheat Council; (4228)
(ix) the International Lead and Zinc Study Group; (4229)
(x) the International Mobile Satellite Organization (previously known as the International Maritime Satellite Organization); (4231)
(xi) the International Rubber Study Group; (4232)
(xii) the International Sugar Organization; (4233)
(xiii) the International Whaling Commission; (4234)
(xiv) the International Oil Pollution Compensation Fund 1992; (4237)
(xv) the International Oil Pollution Compensation Fund; (4236)
(xvi) the International Maritime Organization (previously known as the Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organization); (4230)
together with explanatory memoranda;
2. Marine PollutionExchange of Notes amending the Agreement relating to the Commissions established by the Convention for the Prevention of Marine Pollution by Dumping from Ships and Aircraft 1972 and the Convention for the Prevention of Marine Pollution from Land-based Sources 1974. (4235)
3. Affirmative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House for approval by resolution and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Draft National Assembly for Wales (Representation of the People) Order 1999;
2. Draft Appropriation (Northern Ireland) Order 1999.
4. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Local Authorities (Alteration of Requisite Calculations) (Wales) Regulations 1999, laid under the Local Government Finance Act 1992; (296)
2. National Health Service (General Medical Services) Amendment Regulations 1999, laid under the National Health Service Act 1977; (326)
3. Employers Contributions Re-imbursement Amendment Regulations 1999, laid under the Jobseekers Act 1995; (286)
4. Self-Governing Schools (Publication of Proposals for Discontinuance) (Scotland) Regulations 1999, laid under the Self-Governing Schools etc. (Scotland) Act 1989; (337)
5. Draft National Savings Bank (Investment Deposits) (Limits) (Amendment) Order 1999, laid under the National Savings Act 1971; ()
6. (i) Legal Aid in Criminal and Care Proceedings (General) (Amendment) Regulations 1999 (346)
(ii) Legal Aid in Criminal and Care Proceedings (Costs) (Amendment) Regulations 1999 (345)
laid under the Legal Aid Act 1988.
5. Papers not subject to parliamentary proceedingsThe following papers were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Accounts for 1997-98 of the Marine and Aviation Insurance (War Risks) Fund, together with the Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General, laid under the Marine and Aviation (War Risks) Act 1972;
2. Consultation Report on the NHS Estates Trading Fund Order, laid under the Government Trading Funds Act 1973.
6. Pollution Prevention and Control Bill [HL] The House resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; an amendment was moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; the House was resumed for a statement; the House again resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; amendments were moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; amendments were agreed to; the House was resumed and the bill was reported with amendments; it was ordered that the bill be printed as amended. (HL Bill 20)
7. Development Commission (Transfer of Functions and Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 1999It was moved by the Lord Whitty that the draft Order laid before the House on 27th January be approved; the motion was agreed to.
8. Scotland Act 1998 (Transitory and Transitional Provisions) (Finance) Order 1999It was moved by the Lord Sewel that the draft Order laid before the House on 4th February be approved; after debate, the motion was agreed to.
9. Railways (Rateable Values) (Scotland) Order 1999It was moved by the Lord Sewel that the draft Order laid before the House on 21st January be approved; the motion was agreed to.
The House was adjourned at eight oclock
till tomorrow, half-past two oclock.
The following entry should have appeared in the Minutes of Proceedings of Thursday 11th February:
Water Industry BillIt was ordered that the Explanatory Notes relating to the bill be printed. (HL Bill 19-EN)