HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Martis 11° Maii 1999
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Southwark.
1. OathCharles Henry Duke of Richmond Lennox and Gordon took and subscribed the oath pursuant to statute.
2. Turkington and others (practising as McCartan Turkington Breen) (Respondents) v. Times Newspapers Limited (Appellants) (Northern Ireland) The appeal of Times Newspapers Limited was presented and it was ordered that in accordance with Standing Order VI the statement and appendix thereto be lodged on or before 22nd June next (lodged 10th May).
3. Lawrence (formerly Julin) (Respondent) v. Barrett (trading as K.S. Barrett & Associates) (Petitioner) The petition of Kim Steven Barrett praying for leave to appeal notwithstanding that the time limited by Standing Order II has expired was presented and referred to an Appeal Committee.
4. Hurst (Appellant) v. Bryk and others (Respondents) The petition of the appellant praying that the time for lodging the statement and appendix and setting down the cause for hearing might be extended to 17th June next (the agents for the respondents consenting thereto) was presented; and it was ordered as prayed (lodged 6th May).
5. Command PaperThe following paper was presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
Northern IrelandReport for 1998 of Executive Non-Departmental Public Bodies in Northern Ireland. (4334)
6. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Public Service Vehicles (Community Licences) Regulations 1999, laid under the European Communities Act 1972; (1322)
2. Local Government (Publication of Staffing Information) (England) (Revocation) Regulations 1999, laid under the Local Government, Planning and Land Act 1980; (1267)
3. (i) National Crime Squad (Complaints) (Amendment) Regulations 1999 (1266)
(ii) NCIS (Complaints) (Amendment) Regulations 1999 (1273)
laid under the Police Act 1997;
4. Road Traffic (Permitted Parking Area and Special Parking Area) (County Borough of Neath Port Talbot) Order 1999, laid under the Road Traffic Act 1991; (1288)
5. (i) Harrow College (Incorporation) Order 1999 (1327)
(ii) Harrow College (Government) Regulations 1999 (1328)
laid under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992;
6. Education (Nursery Education and Early Years Development) (England) Regulations 1999, laid under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. (1329)
7. Paper not subject to parliamentary proceedingsThe following paper was laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
Statement of Guarantee given by the Secretary of State for Health in respect of temporary borrowing by the Isle of Wight Healthcare National Health Service Trust from Barclays Bank plc, laid under the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990.
Select Committee Report
8. Statutory InstrumentsThe 18th Report from the Joint Committee was made on certain statutory instruments, including the following affirmative instruments:
Draft Social Security and Child Support (Decisions and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations 1999;
Draft Army, Air Force and Naval Discipline Acts (Continuation) Order 1999;
it was ordered that the Report be printed. (HL Paper 59)
9. House of Lords BillThe House again resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; an amendment was agreed to (see division list 1); amendments were moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; an amendment was disagreed to (see division list 2); the House was resumed after amendment 70.
The House was adjourned at sixteen minutes past eleven oclock
till tomorrow, half-past two oclock.