|Previous Section||Back to Table of Contents||Lords Hansard Home Page|
Lord Bassam of Brighton: Spending Review 2000 made provision for the allocation of £30 million for rural policing in each year of the settlement period. The sums for 2001-02 have been apportioned on the basis of population weighted by a sparsity score. The allocations for 2001-02 are given in the table.
|Avon & Somerset||992,875|
|City of London||0|
|Devon & Cornwall||3,114,489|
Lord Bassam of Brighton: The total provision for police forces in 2001-02 for officers recruited under the Crime Fighting Fund (CFF) is likely to be £129 million. This includes funding for the continued employment of officers recruited during 2000-01 as well as funding for new recruits in 2001-02.
The table provides an indicative breakdown of payments between forces, assuming that all forces recruit their full CFF allocation in 2000-01 and that they also recruit their full CFF allocations in 2001-02.
Bids form forces to accelerate or to defer CFF allocations between 2000-01 and 2001-02 are presently under consideration. CFF allocations for 2001-02 are therefore provisional and depend upon forces meeting the continuation criteria set out in the CFF bidding guide. Decisions on acceleration/deferral and on compliance with the continuation criteria may affect the amounts payable to forces in 2001-02.
Payments to forces for individual CFF recruits are made pro rata from the point at which the CFF officers are recruited. Payments due will change to reflect the actual pattern of recruitment if it is different from the even distribution assumed for the purposes of the table.
In addition to payments direct to forces, National Police Training (NPT) will receive funding to train new recruits to provincial forces. The total CFF provision also includes a contingency to cover, for example, costs arising from any new allowances that may be introduced which affect CFF recruits.
|Forces||CFF Year 1 Allocation (2000-01)(1)||Continuation Cost of Year 1 Allocation in 2001-02(1, 2)||CFF Year 2 Allocation 1 (2001-02)(3)||Cost of Year 2 Recruitment in 2001-02(2, 3)||Total|
|Avon & Somerset||67||1,691||51||706||2,397|
|City of London(7)||8||253||15||222||475|
|Devon & Cornwall||77||1,943||79||1,125||3,068|
(4) Assumes that all forces recruit their full CFF allocation in 2000/01.
(5) Costs include 3 per cent increase over 2000/01 provision for pay related costs.
(6) Assumes that all forces will recruit their full CFF allocations in 2001-02 and that recruitment will be spread evenly over the year.
(7) The cost of the increase in London Allowance implemented in 2000 for new recruits to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and City of London police has been included in the calculations for CCF recruits to the MPS and City (including an element for employers NIC).
(8) Training costs of £7,000 per officer for new MPS recruits has been included in the calculation for MPS.
(9) NPT training costs of £16.1 million are based on a cost of £7,000 per officer for forces, except the MPS.
(10) A contingency is required to cover additional costs that may arise, including possible additional costs for CFF recruits from implementation of an Outer London Allowance.