HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Lunae 12° Maii 2003
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Portsmouth.
1. Granville Oils and Chemicals Limited (Petitioners) v. Davies Turner & Co Limited (Respondents)The petition of Granville Oils and Chemicals Limited praying for leave to appeal was presented and referred to an Appeal Committee.
2. Regina v. Secretary of State for the Home Department (Respondent) ex parte Greenfield (FC) (Appellant)The petition of the appellant praying that the time for lodging the statement and appendix and setting down the cause for hearing might be extended to 23rd June next (the agents for the respondent consenting thereto) was presented; and it was ordered as prayed.
3. Instruments withdrawnThe following instruments, laid before the House on 29th April, were withdrawn:
1. Draft Enterprise Act 2002 (Part 8 Domestic Infringements) Order 2003;
2. Draft Enterprise Act 2002 (Supply of Services) Order 2003.
4. Command PapersThe following papers were presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. TransportGovernment Response to the report of the House of Commons Transport Select Committee on Urban Charging Schemes; (5818)
2. Contingent LiabilitiesMinute from the Department of Transport on Contingent Liabilities incurred by the Strategic Rail Authority in respect of the South Central Rail Franchise; ()
3. Foreign and Commonwealth OfficeDepartmental Report for 2003. (5913)
5. Affirmative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House for approval by resolution and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Draft Lay Magistrates (Eligibility) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003, laid under the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002, together with an Explanatory Memorandum;
2. (i) Draft Enterprise Act 2002 (Part 8 Domestic Infringements) Order 2003, together with an Explanatory Memorandum
(ii) Draft Enterprise Act 2002 (Supply of Services) Order 2003, together with an Explanatory Memorandum
laid under the Enterprise Act 2002.
6. Negative InstrumentThe following instrument was laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
Football Spectators (Seating) Order 2003, laid under the Football Spectators Act 1989. (1280)
Select Committee Report
7. Delegated Powers and Regulatory ReformThe following report from the Select Committee was made and ordered to be printed:
20th Report, on the following bill:
Northern Ireland Assembly (Elections and Periods of Suspension) Bill. (HL Paper 104)
(ii) Public Business
8. Business of the HouseIt was moved by the Lord Privy Seal (Lord Williams of Mostyn) that, if the Northern Ireland Assembly (Elections and Periods of Suspension) Bill is received from the Commons, Standing Order 47 (No two stages to be taken on one day) be dispensed with in respect of the bill on Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 14th May; and that Standing Order 41 (Arrangement of the Order Paper) be dispensed with on Wednesday 14th May to allow the bill to be taken before the motion standing in the name of the Baroness Williams of Crosby; the motion was agreed to.
9. Railways and Transport Safety BillIt was moved by the Lord McIntosh of Haringey that it be an instruction to the Grand Committee to which the Railways and Transport Safety Bill has been committed that they consider the bill in the following order:
Clauses 1 to 15
Schedules 2 and 3
Clauses 17 and 18
Clauses 19 to 72
Clauses 73 to 102
Clauses 103 to 115
Clauses 116 to 119;
the motion was agreed to.
10. Courts Bill [HL]The bill was further considered on report; amendments were moved and (by leave of the House) withdrawn; amendments were agreed to; a further amendment was agreed to (see division list); it was ordered that the bill be printed as amended. (HL Bill 63)
11. European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (Euro-Mediterranean Agreement establishing an Association between the European Communities and their Member States and the Arab Republic of Egypt) Order 2003It was moved by the Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean that the draft Order laid before the House on 28th April be approved; after debate, the motion was agreed to.
12. European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (Agreement establishing an association between the European Community and its Members States and the Republic of Chile) Order 2003It was moved by the Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean that the draft Order laid before the House on 28th April be approved; the motion was agreed to.
The House was adjourned at twenty-four minutes past eight oclock
till tomorrow, half-past two oclock.