Current Developments in European Foreign
1. The Committee asked the Minister
for Europe, Mr Jim Murphy MP, to give evidence on the
most recent developments in European Foreign Policy. We thank
the Minister for his time.
2. In the Report we make available,
for the information of the House, the oral evidence given to Sub-Committee
C (Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy) by the Minister
for Europe, accompanied by Ms Jennifer Cole, European Security
and Defence Policy & EU External Spend Team Leader, Foreign
and Commonwealth Office, on 3 July 2008.
3. Key topics in the evidence are:
- Discussions at the June 2008 European
Council (Q 1);
- The Irish vote on the Lisbon Treaty
(QQ 1, 5);
- The Millennium Development Goals
and the Agenda for Action (Q 1);
- Food and fuel prices, the global
food market and the potential for EU action, including the need
for a radical overhaul of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)
(QQ 1, 4, 5);
- The CAP "health check"
and EU budget review and discipline in general (QQ 2-4);
- The importance of the Doha round
of trade negotiations and the potential for progress (Q 5);
- The problems of the EU police mission
in Afghanistan including staffing of the mission and the length
of the training packages for the Afghan police (QQ 6-9, p 5).