Previous Section Back to Table of Contents Lords Hansard Home Page



10 Jun 2011 : Column WS51



10 Jun 2011 : Column WS51

Written Statements

Friday 10 June 2011

Employment: Work Programme

Statement

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Work and Pensions (Lord Freud): My right honourable friend the Minister for Employment (Chris Grayling) has made the following Written Ministerial Statement.

I am delighted to announce that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is launching the work programme today. The Government's vision of a high quality, personalised employment programme for those benefit claimants throughout Great Britain who need more intensive support is now a reality.

The Work and Pensions Select Committee report published last month was very positive about DWP's management of the procurement process despite the very ambitious timescales set. Thirty-eight of the 40 contracts have now been signed. The two remaining contracts are all on track to be signed w/c 13 June 2011.

Today, I will be personally visiting a provider in west London to meet their first participants and see first hand how they are starting to use the freedom we have given them to innovate and design personally and locally tailored support.

The Government will publish providers' minimum service offers to all claimants in due course. This will ensure that claimants are aware of what they can expect, and that providers live up to what they have told us they will deliver. We will also be publishing the details of the local voluntary, public and private sector organisations that make up the prime providers' supply chains.

Unlike in previous employment programmes, the Government have adopted genuinely long-term goals in the design of the work programme.

Providers will be in place for up to seven years, giving them time to invest in building strong relationships with local partners and to innovate to find what works, enabling them to deliver the best quality back to work support possible.

Claimants will join the programme for up to two years, so providers will have a real chance to address the most serious disadvantages some of our claimants face in the labour market.

Once claimants have found a job we will pay providers to help them keep it for up to 18 months for mainstream jobseekers, and up to 27 months for an employment and support allowance claimant moving from incapacity benefits.

I am confident that we have given the work programme every chance of making a real difference to long term worklessness. We expect to see substantial indications of the success of the programme from spring 2013. A full independent evaluation has been commissioned for that year as the first customers complete their two years and I look forward to sharing the results with the House as soon as possible.



10 Jun 2011 : Column WS52

Health: E.coli

Statement

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Lord Henley): My right honourable friend the Secretary of State has today made the following Statement.

The Secretary of State for Health informed the House on 7 June of how the Government are taking all possible measures to monitor the serious E.coli 0104 outbreak that is centred in Germany and to assess and deal with any associated risks should any arise for consumers in the UK. I will not repeat what he has said in relation to the background of the outbreak.

It is deeply regrettable that this outbreak has resulted in the loss of life. It has also had a disruptive economic impact on growers and others within the supply chain for fruit and vegetables across the EU, including our domestic industry.

At retail level, prices for domestically produced salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers and courgettes), have remained relatively stable, although demand has declined, with the result that more produce is being sent to the wholesale market, which is experiencing movement in prices. I welcome the support for UK producers shown by the big retailers who have in some cases increased their offering of UK salad produce, in response to consumer demand for our home crops.

One impact of the decision by the Russian Federation to impose a ban on EU fruit and vegetable produce is that surplus produce has been directed to alternative EU markets, including our own. The consequence has been to depress values in the wholesale market, with volumes down, although here again, I understand that prices for English produce are faring better than those for imported produce. But the situation continues to develop and the latest indications from our trade organisations are that the market has deteriorated.

The impacts of the overall situation are being felt across the EU and because of this, the Agriculture and Fisheries Council on 7 June discussed the need for exceptional measures to address the market situation and to provide financial support for growers affected. Proposals were discussed by Ministers at Council level and considered by officials at the EU Fruit and Vegetables Management Committee but no package has yet been agreed for implementation. Discussions will continue on 14 June.

The proposals build upon existing measures that are available within the fruit and vegetable aspects of the common agricultural policy via its Single Common Market Organisation (sCMO) of agricultural markets. No brand new measures are proposed. The total budget proposed would be €210 million, which would come from the existing European Agriculture Guarantee Fund (common agricultural policy) budget to cover tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and also peppers and courgettes. No additional funding is proposed. The proposals cover the extension and relation of the rules covering market withdrawals. In the main this means that produce will go for destruction, because the perishable nature of fresh produce means that intervention is not

10 Jun 2011 : Column WS53

a viable option. Compensation would be paid only in respect of the withdrawal of produce and it would not extend to compensation for loss of earnings nor to pay for the difference between current and normal expected market value. Details of the proposal are as follows:

separate maximum compensation rates (@ euro/100kg) would be established for tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and courgettes, to represent about 50 per cent of the usual average June price for such produce; the measures would be open to all member states to implement; the allocated funding would be available on a first come first served basis (ie there are currently no plans for an allocation per member state); in general withdrawals of produce must be made via producer organisations (POs) recognised under the sCMO. There is already such provision through POs' existing funding programmes but the proposed new funding will be additional. However, under amended proposals, the Commission is considering an alternative route via the Paying Agency direct, which would be helpful for growers who are not members of a PO; the proposal is for a temporary measure, to apply retrospectively from 26 May to 30 June, or when the budget is exhausted-whichever is sooner; and

10 Jun 2011 : Column WS54

at a later stage, the Commission will consider whether a promotional campaign for fruit and vegetables could also be considered, to support the restoration of consumer confidence in the market.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs will continue to maintain close contact with the Food Standards Agency and with industry organisations and is discussing with the Rural Payments Agency and other government departments how to implement the proposed measures.

Taxation: Double Taxation

Statement

The Commercial Secretary to the Treasury (Lord Sassoon): My honourable friend the Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury (David Gauke) has today issued the following Written Ministerial Statement.

A new double taxation convention with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia was signed on 9 June 2011. The text of the convention has been deposited in the Libraries of both Houses and made available on HM Revenue and Customs' website. The text will be scheduled to a draft Order in Council and laid before the House of Commons in due course.


Next Section Back to Table of Contents Lords Hansard Home Page