Parliamentary portcullis Session 2008-09
Internet Publications
Other Private Bills before Parliament
Arrangement of Clauses (Contents)

City of Westminster—continued


back to previous text

Sections 7(3) and 9(4)

Procedure for passing or varying a designating resolution

Before passing a designating resolution or varying such a resolution the council shall give notice in writing of its intention to do so—
(a)to the Police Commissioner;
(b)to the highway authority (except where the council is the highway authority);
(c)to any body which appears to the council to represent relevant street traders;
(d)to all licence holders whom the council could reasonably expect would be affected by the proposed resolution; and
(e)where the proposed resolution would designate private land, to the owner of that land or to the person assessed for the uniform business rate on it.
The council may, if it thinks fit, also give notice in writing to residents' associations or amenity societies representing residents living in the vicinity of the area which is the subject of a proposed designating resolution.
The notice shall—
(a)give details of the proposed resolution; and
(b)state that representations may be made regarding the proposed resolution by the date specified in the notice as the due date, which date shall be not less than 28 days after the notice has been given.
As soon as practicable after the due date the council shall consider all representations received by that date and may at its discretion consider representations received after that date.
The council shall give to any person who makes representations by the due date an opportunity to make oral representations to the council and may at its discretion give to other persons making representations a similar opportunity.
The council may pass the proposed resolution with any modifications it considers appropriate as a result of any representations received under this section but no designating resolution may be passed—
(a)in respect of private land without the consent of the owner of that land or the person assessed for the uniform business rate on it; or
(b)in respect of a highway in respect of which the council is not the highway authority, without the consent of the highway authority.
As soon as practicable after passing a resolution under paragraph 6 the council shall by notice in writing inform all persons who were given notice of the proposed resolution.

previous section contents continue
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2008
Prepared 26 November 2008