CHAPTER 1: Background|
1. This is the sixth Annual Report on the work
of the European Union Select Committee and its seven Sub-Committees.
This report covers the Committee's work from November 2007 to
October 2008. The Committee's terms of reference can be found
at Appendix 1.
2. There are five principal areas of activity
through which the Committee and its Sub-Committees carry out their
work and these are as follows:
- Routine Scrutiny
- Committee Inquiries and Reports
- One-off hearings
- Contacts with the European Commission
- Contacts with other Parliaments
3. Chapter 2 of this report highlights some of
the major pieces of work carried out in each of these areas while
Chapter 3 looks at some of the procedural matters which have arisen
over the past year.
4. We make this report for the information of
the House. No Government response is required.